Friday, June 10, 2011

It's a cinch!

Today is the last day of school for the kiddos! I'm always excited about the beginning of summer because I get to hang out with two of my favorite people....learning, laughing and having fun. About mid July I maybe found pulling out my hair when the Bickersons are in full form but for now I will enjoy the time.
(picture was taken on miss match day=))

Anyway, not to get sidetracked...

Abbey will just be finishing her first school year. It amazes me what kids learn in Kindergarten these days. She went in only knowing how to read a handful of words and now she's starting on chapter books. Not to mention she knows what an onomatopoeia is...do you?  I didn't and in case you are wondering it's the formation of words whose sound is imitative of the sound of the noise or action designated, such as hiss, buzz, and bang.

This year Abraham went with a special group of advanced kids to worked with a volunteer on reading and math. He's leaving First grade at somewhere around a 3rd to 4th grade reading level and doing multiplication! By the end of second grade he may just be smarter then both his parents....but we won't let him in on that...it could go to his head...hehe.

Needless to say Frank and I are very proud of how much they have learned and grown! So, to celebrate I made the kids summer goody bags. They will be filled with summer reading, fun little trinkets and a gift card for ice cream...yum!

For Abbey's bag I recycled another thrift store pillow case using this super simple tutorial at Little Birdie Secrets.

I used the measurements of the pillow case and created Abe's with some leftover fabric. For the scorpion I just printed off a silhouette, cut and traced it onto some fabric with iron on backing (I'm sure that has a more technical name).

I hope you all have a safe summer filled with lots of giggles and smiles! And remember don't forget the sunscreen!
Hugs & God Bless!
J@

3 comments:

Amy said...

Great bags! Hope you and the kids have a fun summer!

Chris said...

nice job to the kids on their awesome accomplishments this year!! love the bags, what a super idea!!

Sara Paschal said...

These bags are darling going to take your link and check them out looks like a wonderful project for Liz;)

The Bickersons (just may have to steal that word from you also). Mine have started...ACK! Leaving me with no MOJO for anything.